Benefits of ISO 14001
ISO 14001 is a ‘flexible’ standard.
It’s able to integrate with existing management systems and other ISO standards with very little adaptation.
In addition to this, an organisation has the option when setting the scope of the EMS, to implement ISO 14001 across the whole organisation, or apply it only to certain departments or locations.
The most commonly seen benefits are -
- Increased control over impacts on the environment (both beneficial and detrimental)
- Improved corporate image and credibility (enhances your brand)
- Increased customer satisfaction (confidence in the organisations commitment to the environment)
- Increased legal and regulatory awareness throughout the organisation
- Less risk of non-compliance with Environmental laws and regulations
- Cost saving through efficiency (striving for continuous improvement)
- Can be easily combined with other systems i.e. existing management system, ISO 9001, ISO 45001
- Increased staff engagement (focus on communication and awareness and contributions)
- Helpful management tool from which to achieve a level of environmental performance (using the methods prescribed within the standard to develop KPIs or strategic business goals)
- Ultimately, the organisation is contributing to a better environment (or at least minimizing/managing their own contributions)